Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Patience

get on the flight and take my seat. Toward the end of the seating a gentleman boards the plane (I am using the term gentleman loosely here). He has a brief case and a bag with presents in it (not large could have fit underneath the seat in front of him. The Flight attendant was doing her checks and getting ready for the flight to move away from the gate. He turns to her (after not looking at all for a place to put his stuff) and says “you are a stewardess aren’t you, find a place for this stuff”. My head shot up with the phrase Stewardess, that is no longer politically correct, it is demeaning like the word actress (meaning that they are not as good as a male who is an actor). She took the package from him and asked if there was anything breakable in it, he said yes and then stated that it was just some hats and gloves that were wrapped. She said that she would find a place for it, but did not take the package immediately because she was in the middle of taking care of another issue. He seemed a little miffed that she did not drop everything for him. EH placed the package in the middle of the aisle for her to pick it up. She came back and picked up the package. She placed the package at the back of the plane and proceeded on with her work, as she passed is reminded her to tell him not to forget the package. To her credit she was completely congenial.

When beverage service came around he was extremely demanding. He wanted tea (the plane is a small commuter jet and does not have hot water. Then he requested a Bloody Mary (they did not have Bloody Mary mix on the plane). He settled for some tomato juice. Later during the flight, he lost the cap to his bottle and it landed near my feet, I was half awake, I noticed that he looked at me like I was to pick it up for him (and had he been nicer to her I would have). He fumbled for it and got it. At the end of the flight he asked me and the other women in the back of the plane to get his package for him. He didn’t even say please. To their credit, none of the other women lifted a finger. He was miffed and stomped to the back of the plan and then preceded to crowd the girl in front of him. She was getting her baggage from the overhead compartment. This guy was a real prick. He needs a little jolt of reality. I was really pissed off. As I disembarked the plane, I smiled at the Flight attendant and said that she had extreme patience and said to have a nice day. She laughed.

This is just a small example of what I am sure that she has to deal with everyday. It is not as bad as in our mothers day, but it should not even be this way. I am expected to carry my own weight as a Soldier (gender neutral term). This guy really needs to get hit up side the head with some reality. Maybe it will be when his female boss downsizes him!

Labels: , , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home