Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Thursday, October 25, 2007

How to Ghettophi a BMW…

This is a book that I should write after last weekend. My Saturday started off late due to the prior evenings festivities. So when I did get up, I decided that I would like some fresh air. What better place to get some of that kind of air than on a mountain top. With that in mind I decided to go the Wichita Mountains and drive up to the top of Mt. Scott. That is another story. On the way up the mountain I got a low coolant light. I had no other choice but to continue up the mountain, due to the fact that it was a two lane road and there was no safe place to turn. Once I got up to the summit, I waited a few minutes and took in the sights. Then I started my trip down the mountain. My engine started to over heat. I let my princess roll down the mountain and out of the wild life reserve. It finally red-lined and I stopped the car immediately. I rolled into this small roadside store that had “live rattle snakes” painted on the side of the building. 2 women were there about ready to close up and they were extremely helpful. I purchased 3 gallons of water and waited for the engine to cool down. When it did I attempted to pour water into the coolant reservoir. I wouldn’t stay. There was a huge crack along the entire side of the coolant reservoir. It was nine inches long and about 1/8th of an inch wide. Nothing was going to stay in this thing. To make things worse, I was not in an area where I had cell phone coverage. But I got out of that situation.

I got to a place where I could call a flatbed to get my baby back to town. I called one of my fellow LT’s and he took me home. The next morning, 2LT W and 2LT Mc went with me to the place where I had the car dropped off. They proceeded to take apart my baby. I had a hard time looking. They managed to get my coolant reservoir out and they we proceeded to duct tape it. We closed the gap and taped it and then replaced it. Then we filled it with enough water to get me back on base. From there I ordered a part from Ohio and then we repaired it this evening. It is funny to think that I had to duct tape my BMW. Oh…. She will never be the same.

Labels: , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home