Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

How Disgraceful!!

In the car today I was informed by MDB that the hero of my childhood had been fired from the Tigers. Allen Trammel was relieved from his position as manager of the Detroit Tigers. I am saddened. What happened to loyalty? The Tiger were improving. I question this move. Dombrowski’s lack of response to reporters seems a bit snippy.

According to the Detroit Free Press “Detroit lost an AL-record 119 games in Trammell’s first season as manager, then improved to 72-90 last year, the biggest turnaround in the AL since Baltimore’s 33-game improvement from 1988 to 1989.” It takes time to rebuild a team that has been in the dumps since the early 90’s.

It may be a sense of nostalgia, but remembering Trammel, Kirk Gibson, and Lou Whitaker playing created some of the happiest memories of my childhood. The first baseball game that I saw in person was in Tiger Stadium (which has been replaced by the sacrilege known as Comerica Park). People are so quick to throw away history and people. The firing of Allen Trammel is just the latest example of Tigers lack or respect of history. I am truly saddened.

Jimmy Buffet song of the day: “Sending the Old Man Home

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home