Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Trip to Honky Tonk Land

I have done a bit of traveling during my time here in beautiful Augusta, GA. This weekend I went to day goodbye to one of my best friends from high school. I met her at one of the dorky Debate/Model UN functions that I participated in during high school. Sarah is not from my hometown, but from a city about 30 minutes to the east. Now her mother lives in a suburb of Nashville, TN.


Sarah and I have different opinions on a lot of subjects, but our friendship shows how opposites can get along and even become great friends. My grandmother said that the true friends you have are the ones that when you have not seen them for a while, when you do see them again you can pick up right were you left off. This is the kind of relationship that Sarah and I have. Sarah has been in France for most of the last year, and I have been in different Army schools, so needless to say we have not had a chance to see each other. Last weekend was the only chance that my schedule and her schedule would allow for a meeting prior to her departure to Cameroon, West Africa. She will be there for 2 years. So I decided to drive up to Tennessee to see her and her mother.


We talked and went for a walk at the Grand Ole Opry Hotel. It was beautiful. There were 3 huge gardens under a glass roof. After that we got take out and rented a movie. We sat and looked at my wedding photos (so far we have over 1500 photos). Then we watched Patriot Games.


I am going to miss her. I was sad that she could not be a part of my wedding. She has been there for most of the significant events in my life. I feel like our paths are diverging in a significant way. I will be in Korea for at least the next year (maybe the next two) and she will be in Africa.


I wish her the best of luck on her new endeavor. She is a PA and she will be working at a mission hospital in Cameroon.

Labels: ,

1 comment(s):

Student government was not dorky! We were totally cool:-)

Thanks for your blog entry, it was great to see you in "Honky Tonk Land"! While it's true that we will be very far apart over the next few years, you know that I love you, distance doesn't change that.

God bless your move, see you soon, the time will go faster than you think:-)

Love, Sarah

By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 08, 2008 7:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home