Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Friday, December 08, 2006

How I Got Here

I am sure that to some of you my actions yesterday may have come as a surprise.  This is something that I have wanted to do for sometime.  I wanted to do it before I left for Poland, but then I got accepted to the Jagiellonian.  I wanted to do it after I came home from Poland, but then I was hoodwinked and moved to Cleveland.  That part of my life is a black hole that could have ruined me.  I am glad that I have found a much better life then I ever could have had there. 

I got in touch with my real friends, the people who have known me since childhood.  I looked at myself.  I took a long hard look.  I was determined after I left Cleveland that I would not make a decision based upon anyone else who was not my FiancĂ©e or husband.  I looked at what my dreams were.  I looked at my wants, where I wanted to live, what lifestyle I wanted and what would make me most self-reliant.  I found that I love to live in new places.  I began to understand that I do not mind moving to new places.  In addition, I found that I do need some direction in my life.  I decided that I wanted to use my degree and I want the opportunity to learn more languages and use them.  I want to see more of the world and more of the United States.  I am not afraid of the road ahead.  I rather dig the uncertainty.  

However, there are things that are truly certain.  One of the things that is set in stone is that I will not have a life for the next 6 months.  Over the next 6 months, I will be doing things that I have never done before.  I will have to confront my fear of heights.  I will learn how to shoot a weapon.  I will go for an extended camping trip.  I will be in a place that is very different from anything that I have ever done in my life.

Taking all of these things into consideration, I decided to go for it.  I took the ASVAB and rocked it.  Even before that, I started a program to take off the weight that I had put on during my misguided adventure in Cleveland.  I went on an entire cruise without eating a single sweet thing!  Then there was the paperwork!  The first lesson that I learned is that the military is nothing without paperwork.  There is a ton of it!  The Questioner that I had to fill out was extensive.  I had to document every place that I have lived in the last 7 years!  That was a good time.  In addition, I had to have all of the transcripts from all of the colleges that I attended.  The ones from Poland took the longest.  Furthermore, I had to get letters of recommendation.  The packet was large. 

I have been running and making it to the gym at least once a day.  Sometimes I make it there 3 times a day.  I will truly kick ass by the end of this.  I will be in the best shape of my life!  So bring it ON!

2 comment(s):

And you will go to OCS.. and ROCK IT !! Any time you want to go for a run after work.. you know who to call.

By Blogger CWH, at December 13, 2006 5:03 AM  

"Your left, your left, your left right left.... LT, LT can't you see... This little run ain't S&%t to me!"

{Grinning} Have fun... Drink water and remember, it can get worse! But, it's all in your mind!

I almost wish I could be there for your first formation run!

Remmember, your choices are what YOU make of it! NOT, what everyone else thinks.

I look forward to giving you your first salute kiddo!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 30, 2006 5:54 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home