Thoughts From a Wandering Soul, Now in the Charm City

Monday, July 03, 2006

Religion and Politics

Saturday I had a rare opportunity to see a friend sing in a contemporary religious service. The singing was ok, from what I was told they were not true to form that evening. Nevertheless it was great to see my friend sing. Things were going well until the guy gets up for the homily. As it turns out the pastor was on vacation and one of the gentlemen who was a member of the band was deputized to give a lesson.

This being the weekend before July 4th and a Christen denomination I was prepared for the "flag waving" and the Christ centered speech. However this far beyond what may have been accepted as reasonable. In the first 3 sentences he stated that dissent was wrong, that burning the flag was an act of treason and that America is the best country in the world and that the war was completely justified. It took all of my strength and consideration for my friend not to just walk out. He continued to go on about how Washington had a prayer service right after he was inaugurated. I have a hard time believing this because from what I know of Washington. Then he recounted the reasons that he believes the US was first settled.

Ron, friends husband was not amused either. He was about ready to walk out as well. I guess I gave the guy talking the glare of death because he commented to my friend that he noticed it. He also stated that it caused him to shorten his speech taking out an entire section on the “Shame of America.” I can only imagine what that would have consisted of.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home